Friday, March 1, 2013

Lessons and Decisions

I know it has been quite some time since I have written anything on here but to be perfectly honest I have had nothing to say. The past two months have truly been the most trying months of my life. Not only is being a high school teacher starting to really wear me down but being the face of the Pohnpei SDA School/Church is taking its tole. However, I have learned several lessons and made some life altering decisions.
The first life lesson I have learned is that some times you just need "me" time. At first being here with 20 other SM's was an amazing, thrilling experience now however being with the same people 24/7 for 7 months straight is starting to get to us. We are starting to get on each others nerves more easily and those little things that use to just be "whatever" matters are now matters of annoyance. Don't get me wrong we all still love each other but being with anyone that much, is to much. So, sometimes just staying back from group activities all by your lonesome and baking, cleaning, reading, or sleeping is the way to go!
The second life lesson I have learned is that patience isn't always the answer. Now I know this may sound a little weird since patience is a virtue and all but being a high school teacher I have learned that there is a fine line between patience and letting kids get away with stuff and sometimes that line is a little blurry. More than any other life lessons these kids need to learn responsibility and respect, they are severally lacking in both areas. I have decided that although I am patient in the area of learning I will not be in most other areas, so I made a trip to the office and now I have a nice large stack of demerits and I'm going to be giving them out faster than sweet corn in the beginning of July (OK maybe not that fast but you get the idea).
There are more life lessons but we will leave it to those two for now and move on to my life altering decision! I am changing my major. I know some of you are probably thinking "oh goodness, not again" but I've decided I'm young I can take my time to figure out the major I want for the rest of my life. When I came to Pohnpei I was planning on getting an AS in Allied Health: Physical Therapy and then going on to Loma Linda for my doctorate in Physical Therapy. Now, however, I am planning on getting my BS in Health Science with a minor in Business Administration and most likely going on to get my MBA. I have a deep love for medicine and science but it was always hard for me to pick an area, every area that I looked into or shadowed I loved! So, this year I have discovered that perhaps the reason I could never decide is because thats not exactly what I'm suppose to do, perhaps medicine is a hobby and God has a different purpose for me. At this point in my life I feel called to combine my love for medicine and my strong/organized/take charge personality and eventually become a hospital administrator, if all goes according to plan. God will lead!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are learning some great life lessons. "Me" time is VERY important for me. haha and I know you are making a good decision for your career! Proud of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new major Macy! I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to see you in a few months!! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Macy! I know that God puts us through the hard times to learn a lesson that we could not have understood or had in the comfort of our US home. God is already starting some scary work on me =/ But He is way better than my worst day and I know that He is with you as well. Love you oodles and miss you lots

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that hospital administration sounded like a great fit when you entertained that idea the first time, but as you now know, God's time is different from our sense of "time." I'm very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macy! Thanks for posting! I just stumbled across your blog and it was great to hear about your time there! Those are some very important life lessons... it's amazing what God can teach us in the mission field! I found out quite a lot in my mission experience as well.

    And how exciting about the MBA! I will work for you any time! Although.... you know you still want to keep me company by being a dentist! ;-)

    ReplyDelete